Wednesday 17 October 2012

Why Hello There, Let Me Introduce Myself

Hello. My name is Karen, and I'm from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I was 18 when I finally managed to get out of the North American continent for the first time. I had travelled quite a bit within the continent (most of which was done by driving), to places like Toronto, New York, Washington D.C, California, Colorado, and heck, even the lovely little-known prairie province of Saskatchewan, but I envied my friends who had travelled abroad. I didn't know what it was like out there, and I was fascinated by the older more historic countries. At 18 I went to China, the land of my ancestors, and spent a month touring the country with my parents, where we even went to Hong Kong. It was one of the best and most interesting experiences of my life. I knew that I had to get out of the continent again.

I am now 24. Last year, I moved to Manchester, UK to study an MA in Creative Writing at the University of Manchester. I've lived in that little bungalow in the suburbs of Montreal my entire life, even stayed there during my undergraduate studies at McGill University, so to move across the ocean was a big deal. It was an enticing yet frightening thought, but I had to do it, and I did. In the past year, I've taken the opportunity of living in Europe to travel to various places. It helped that I scored myself a job as a "social trip accompanier" for the university, which involved me chaperoning international students on day trips to different cities in England.

I don't know why I didn't think of starting a travel blog earlier. I love to write and I love to travel, so why not put the two together? I've been told it's a good idea for writers to keep record of their experiences, and I certainly don't want to forget mine. I'm at a point in my life where I am young and travelling, so let the blog begin and the words roll...

No comments:

Post a Comment